The 34-story office building from the 1920's was renovated and restored to convert it to residential usage. The structural engineering including a full façade survey, evaluation and restoration program; a window replacement program; and structural modifications for extensive interior renovations. The interior renovations included new floors in existing interstitial spaces, closure of abandoned floor openings and modifications to the central egress stair.
The existing steel-framed balconies at the 3rd and 4th Floors were widened by 3' outward and the existing windows, doors and balcony railings were reconfigured at the rear of the building.
Lofts at Brewerytown
The vacant 1920's warehouse was renovated and restored so it could be converted for mixed residential apartments and commercial use. The building occupied an entire city block and varied in height from one-story to six-stories. The project included structural repairs to the exposed concrete façades and building structure; new floor openings for stairs and mechanical chases; infill of abandoned stair towers; ramps and stairs from street level to access the commercial and parking areas in the Basement and First Floor levels; and cutting an extensive opening in the interior of the two-story portion of the building to admit light to the lower levels.
Penthouse Addition at Warwick Hotel
The steel-framed addition encloses a portion of an existing 21st floor terrace. We engineered an efficient shallow-depth framing configuration to satisfy limited available headroom. We designed and coordinated the base of the addition so its steel framing bore on the original floor surface and transferred loads to the existing floor framing below, and the new framing was concealed within the new built-up floor.
Richard Humphreys Hall [Cheyney University]
This award-winning project converted a 100-year old, three-story classroom building to a dormitory. We engineered the interior structural renovations which included a new elevator with a pit in the basement and framing modifications at each floor level so two structural columns could be removed. Salvaged stones were used to clad the exterior concrete-framed equipment enclosure (foreground). Phase 1 of the project received a 2011 Grand Jury Award from the Preservation Alliance of Philadelphia.